- Sept. 5, 7 What is sociology and why did it emerge when/where it did?
- Chap. 1 Early developments, functionalism, conflict, symbolic interactionism, feminism
- Sept. 12, 14 What’s the benefit of sociology and how do sociologists do what we do?
- Chap. 2 Doing social science, approaches to gathering/filtering sociological data
- Sept. 19 What is culture and why is it important for us individually and collectively?
- Chaps. 2 & 3 Customs, rituals, traditions, mass/social media and hope
- Sept. 20–21 IS Conference – a sociological field day!
- Sept. 26, 28 How do sociologists learn about the socialness of people’s lives?
- Chap. 2 Shannon D’Agnone – Instructional Librarian
- Laura Rogers – Community Engaged Research
- Oct. 3, 5 How do we become social beings? (1st assignment due at 11:00 a.m.)
4, 5 Socialization, social roles, theories of development, groups and
organizations Micro/macrosociology, social structure, globalization and
- Oct. 10, 12 Why do rich people keep getting richer (and poor people buy lottery tickets)?
- Chaps. 6, 7 Globalization, social stratification, social class, poverty/wealth in Canada
- Oct. 17, 19 What difference does ethnic difference make?
- Chap. 9 Prejudice/discrimination, racialization, ethnic/minority relations and inequality
- Oct. 24 Where are We and What Does That Mean? – Dr. Randy Haluza-Delay
- Chap. 8 Human ecology, environmental degradation and stewardship
- Oct. 26 Mid-Term Exam
- Oct 31, Nov 2 What difference does it make if someone is male, female or “other’?
- Chap. 10 Sex/gender, patriarchy, gender stratification, gender and work
- Nov. 7 What happens when we get married and have children?
- Chaps 11, 13 Mate selection, marriage, division of labour, parenting
- Nov. 9 Fall Break – No Classes
- Nov. 14, 16 What happens when parents, children and everyone else gets older?
- Chaps 11, 13 Sandwich generation, aging and elders in our society
- Nov. 21, 23 What’s right and wrong with making and/or breaking a few rules?
- Chap. 12 Deviance/crime, labelling, understanding crime statistics
- Nov. 28, 30 What do we see when we look behind our schooling and religion?
- Chap. 14 Hidden curriculum, social construction of faith
- Dec. 5, 7 Why does social change happen…or not?
- Chap. 15 Technology and social change, collective behaviour, social movements