||Issues and Methods in Elementary Mathematics Teaching
||Dr. Wendy Stienstra
AND WEEKLY TIME DISTRIBUTION:
||credits 3 (hrs lect 3 - hrs sem 0 - hrs lab 1)
||This course examines foundational and methodological
issues in teaching elementary mathematics. It provides an
overview of the elementary mathematics curriculum, both in content and
theories of instruction. Using problem solving in context,
this course explores the development of children’s understanding of key
ideas in mathematics and examines the role of mathematical discussion
the development of mathematical reasoning and the use of
assessment for learning.
This course is open only for students in the B.Ed. (AD) programs.
||Available from the Bookstore: |
- Van de Walle, J. A. & Folk, S.
(2015). Elementary and middle school mathematics:
Teaching developmentally (4th Canadian ed.).
Toronto: Pearson Allyn and Bacon.
- Alberta Mathematics Programs of Study
DISTRIBUTION IN PERCENT:
|Math Autobiography and Reflection||20%
|Social Justice Assignment||25%
|Reflection on Role Plays||30%
|Focused Observation: Video Clip response||25%
||The goals of this course are that students will:
- gain an overview of the mathematics curriculum from
K-9: the content and the underpinning theories of instruction.
- critique the current reform in mathematics education
- gain some knowledge of the outstanding issues in
- develop an understanding of the developmental
landscape of children’s mathematical knowledge and the role of big
- develop a repertoire of resources, both instructional
- develop effective pedagogical strategies in
- develop the ability to use mental math to follow
mathematical explanations of students and conduct mathematical
- develop flexible mathematical reasoning to understand
adequately children’s personal math.
- identify any personal areas of content knowledge
- believe that they are capable of both doing math and
- Contexts for Doing Math
- Doing Mathematics
- Learning/Teaching Mathematics
- Area & Perimeter Activity
- Inquiry & Discourse
- Planning Lessons
- Number Sense - Landscape of Learning
- Addition & Subtraction
- Place Value - Landscape
- Multiplication & Division
- Math and Social Justice
- Planning: Social Justice Problems
- Patterns & Relations
- Real Life Math
- Deepening Number Concept Measurement
- Pulling it all together