||Values Under Pressure (CHE Exchange)
||Dr Elden Wiebe
AND WEEKLY TIME DISTRIBUTION:
||credits 3 (hrs lect 3 - hrs sem 0 - hrs lab 0)
||As the network of globalized operations expand and the
diversity in workplaces increases, individuals will need to become more
culturally competent and responsive in order to effectively address
issues, challenges, and opportunities that arise. This course will
explore the implications of culture and diversity, as well as the
development and practice of Christian faith, in the business context in
Western Europe, particularly The Netherlands and Belgium. Students will
study at Christelijke Hogeschool in Ede, Netherlands for two weeks.
Through classroom lectures and field trip experiences, students will
develop competence in the profession of business and ethics, explore
European culture (including the EU) and the current global crisis, and
develop skills in cross-cultural leadership.
of BUSI 200, THEO 250, ENGL 204, EDUC 251, PHIL 230, POLI 205, or SOCI
200 and consent of the instructor
As provided by the instructor in class.
||This course is in conjunction with several other
universities. Students are assessed on a pass/fail basis.
- Increase students’ awareness of and sensitivity to
- Establish a cognitive framework to analyze and
appreciate the impact of culture on managerial behaviour and business
- Develop the necessary skills to effectively
communicate, interact, and operate interculturally.
- Generate a greater understanding of issues and
challenges related to international management and global human
- Enhance students’ insight and ability to respond to
diversity-related issues within our own communities and workplaces.
- Saturday, January 6 2018
- Arrive in Amsterdam, 2;00 pm at Samaritan’s Inn.
Meet with professors and students of CHE.
- Walking tour through the centre of Amsterdam,
guided tour with visits to several NGOs in the Red Light District.
- Canal Boat tour and dinner in Amsterdam.
- Sunday,January 7
- Visit to one of the Services of Hillsong Amsterdam
- Q&A with Petra Schoen, colleague at CHE and
member of the Leadership Team at Hillsong
- Visit the Begijnhof in the center of the city
- Visit one of the great Amsterdam museums
- Monday,January 8
- Leave for Ede by train, Lunch at Christelijke
Hogeschool Ede (CHE),
- Introductory lecture about the Dutch culture and
the program of the two weeks,
- Tour around the University, getting a
rented bicycle—the main transport system for two weeks, meeting with
- Tuesday,January 9
- Morning: Start of the course focusing on Calling
- Develop (within a cross cultural project group) a
game about a challenging dilemma within the framework of Calling and
- Afternoon: Visit to Holland Open Air Museum in
- Wednesday, January 10
- Working in project groups on Calling/Profession
- Guest lecture by manager of Interface
- Define specific personal learning objectives with
regard to living in another culture, Christianity outside North
America, Europe, yourself
- Refine your learning objectives in
consultation/discussion with professors and classmates
- Thursday, January 11
- Early morning (around 5:00 AM) visit to the Flower
Auction in Ede;
- Another morning of workshops and seminars.
- Working in project groups. Finalizing the game
- Late afternoon presentation of the games at a small
- Friday,January 12
- Morning: Introduction to the subject of the second
- Dilemmas in Europe (related to culture) and the
related 'research assignment'.
- Afternoon: Prepare to make pairs for doing
interviews in the center of Brussels.
- Saturday, January 13
- A day at the waves. A trip (by bus) to the province
Zeeland. See the Dutch engagement with containing the sea.
- Sunday, January 14
- Morning: Join hosts for their Sunday program, or
visit (by bicycle) to the International Church Fellowship of
- Afternoon: visit to the Kroller Muller Museum in
Ede with plenty of van Goghs and other impressionists, and a Sculpture
- Monday, January 15
- Morning: Preparing to do the research in Brussels;
- Leaving late morning for Brussels where you will
stay for two nights in a hostel;
- Company visit in the afternoon;
- Dinner, together in the Center of Brussels